The Office for Fair Access closed at the end of 31 March 2018 and responsibility for higher education access regulation transferred to the Office for Students

How to give feedback on our processes

Informal feedback

If you have any feedback about the access agreement process, we would be pleased to hear from you. We always look to respond positively to comments. For example, we have used feedback from universities and colleges on our 2015-16 access agreement process to inform and improve the process for 2016-17 access agreements. 

If you are a member of staff at a higher education provider with an access agreement, you can let us have your views informally via your named policy adviser. If your institution has a representative on our Access Agreement Reference Group, you might wish to provide feedback through them.

Anyone is welcome to contact the Director of Fair Access to Higher Education or any other member of our staff (contact details).

Formal complaints and appeals

If you wish to make a complaint, please see our complaints page to find out what you should do and what you can expect from us.

If you are a member of staff at a higher education provider and wish to appeal against a decision made about your access agreement, please see our guidance for universities and colleges.