Information for:

Financial support from your university

This section aims to give students basic information about bursaries, scholarships and other financial support available from your university or college. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, check out our student ‘Frequently asked questions’.

Please note that OFFA only regulates financial support for English undergraduates (and some postgraduates) at English universities and colleges. We do not give out bursaries – they are awarded by individual universities and colleges.

What is available?

Nearly all universities and colleges offer bursaries and scholarships – extra money to help you with the cost of going to university/college. Bursaries and scholarships are paid annually by individual universities and colleges and you can get them on top of any student loans and grants you claim. You don’t have to pay them back.

Most bursaries and scholarships are 100 per cent cash but some universities and colleges offer part of their bursary in the form of a discounted service, for example, discounted accommodation or entrance to sports facilities. Some universities offer a card loaded with ‘virtual cash’ that you can spend on books, stationery, printing, art materials, IT products, field trips, and, in some cases, nursery and accommodation costs.

At OFFA, we use the term ‘bursaries’ to refer to money you get on the basis of your income and ‘scholarships’ to refer to awards based on other criteria, for example, academic criteria. However, many universities and colleges use the terms fairly interchangeably.

Many universities and colleges also offer fee waivers, so reducing the loan you will have to pay back when you graduate and are earning more than a certain level. However, you should be aware that, depending on how much you earn, you may never need to repay your loan in full, so fee waivers may not necessarily benefit you.

How much will I get?

This depends on your university or college and your family/household income. Each university decides on its own criteria for financial support and so you will need to visit their website to find out exactly what they’re offering and whether you’re eligible.

In particular, universities and colleges offer bursaries, fee waivers, accommodation discounts and other support. 

You are also entitled to receive the ‘minimum bursary’ of £338 per year if you:

For further information on student finance try The Student or The Independent Taskforce on Student Finance Information.

How can I find out what different universities are offering?

There are various ways to find out what different universities are offering. A good place to start is the Student Finance Calculator on Student Finance England.

For comprehensive information about what’s on offer, check out individual university and college websites. Bursary and scholarship information will usually be on the ‘Fees and Funding’ , ‘Student Finance’  or other similarly named page.

The Which? University website has a lot of useful information about how to find and get funding from universities and colleges.

How do I claim a bursary?

If you haven’t received a bursary and you think you are eligible, contact the student finance office at your university or college.

It’s worth claiming a bursary, even if you are only eligible for a small amount each year. It could go a good way towards covering your travel to and from uni, or could help you buy more text books. Here’s how to claim:

When will my bursary be paid?

Individual universities and colleges choose when to make their bursary payments. Some will pay you a lump sum in your first term while others stagger their payments.

Do I need to reapply for my bursary each year?

Yes. So make sure you (and your parents if appropriate) continue to consent to share your financial information with your university/college when you fill in your Student Finance Application Form each year.