Information for:

Teacher training

How are PGCE and ITT students affected by the access agreement at a higher education institution?

Trainees on undergraduate initial teacher training (ITT) courses at higher education institutions (HEIs) will be covered under the access agreement for their year of entry. Therefore, continuing students who entered before 2012-13 will be eligible to receive a minimum bursary.

For students on PGCEs or other ITT courses who started their course in 2012-13 or later, there is no requirement to give a minimum bursary.

For further information on including PGCE and ITT students in your access agreements, see the latest OFFA guidance on producing access agreements on our Publications page.

Do school-centred initial teacher training providers (SCITTs)/non-HEI teacher training providers need an access agreement?

No. Only publicly funded institutions that meet certain criteria need an access agreement. See ‘Who has to have an access agreement?’ for a list of the criteria that define these institutions.

Return to guidance index